Website FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team
Title: Land Steward in Training Intern (Up to 2 positions, 2 weeks long)
Supervisor: Beth Craighead, Land Steward
Location: Hopewell Township, New Jersey
Date Prepared: January 5, 2023
Summary of Position:
This 2-week internship will provide a thorough introduction to the tasks and duties of our full summer internship and could lead to subsequent employment. Interns will assist the Stewardship Director and Senior Land Steward of Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space (FoHVOS). Primary activities include field work and project administration. Field work will consist of performing control of invasive species, rare species stewardship and ecological monitoring. Administrative activities will include GIS (Geographic Information System) mapping and data management.
The FoHVOS office is located at Strawberry Hill Mansion at the Ted Stiles Preserve at Baldpate Mountain, 32 Fiddlers Creek Road, Titusville, NJ 08560. Work will be conducted locally through our Stewardship Program and statewide with public and private partners through the FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team.
Transportation will be available to access non-local project sites. If needed, transportation can be provided to and from home.
- Perform invasive species mapping and control activities on emerging and widespread species that pose severe threats to rare species and their habitats. Control activities will include mechanical removal and application of herbicides (training will be provided).
- Ecological monitoring including assisting with measurements of forest and meadow habitats and rare species monitoring including management and searching activities.
- Maintain forest and meadow restoration projects.
- Assist with native plant garden and wildflower meadow restoration projects.
- Perform trail maintenance.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Stewardship Director and Land Steward.
- Interns must be 18 years of age or older.
- Those who have an interest in the environment, gardening, landscaping, hiking or those who just enjoy the outdoors should apply.
- Knowledge of invasive species is helpful but not required
- Knowledge of flora and fauna of New Jersey is helpful but not required
- Willingness to use herbicides is required.
- Ability to conduct physically strenuous field work in rugged terrain is required.
Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space is a nonprofit land trust
that is dedicated to preserving the Valley's character through open space and farmland preservation, and natural resource protection. Since our inception in 1987, we have partnered with private landowners, government and nonprofit organizations to preserve over 7,500 acres of open space and farmland. We administer the FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team, which is a cooperative effort involving over 200 partner organizations, private landowners, and the general public.
Salary and Hours:
- The salary for the internship is $15.00/hour with a 40-hour work week (Monday – Friday). Approximately 8:00AM to 4:00PM.
- Two positions will be 2 weeks long July 10 – July 21
- Housing is not provided.
To apply, please send the following materials by Friday, March 3, 2023:
- A resume
- A cover letter addressing why you are interested in this internship.
- Provide names, e-mails and phone numbers of two references to:
Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space
P.O. Box 395
Pennington, New Jersey 08534
The Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com