Website FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team
Title: Land Steward Interns (Up to 5 positions)
Supervisor: Beth Craighead, Land Steward
Location: Hopewell Township, New Jersey
Date Prepared: January 11, 2023
Summary of Position:
The Land Steward Intern will assist the Stewardship Director and Senior Land Steward of Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space (FoHVOS). Primary activities include field work and project administration. Field work will consist of performing control of invasive species, rare species stewardship and ecological monitoring. Administrative activities will include GIS (Geographic Information System) mapping and data management.
Land Stewards Interns will report to the FoHVOS office located at Strawberry Hill Mansion at the Ted Stiles Preserve at Baldpate Mountain, 32 Fiddlers Creek Road, Titusville, NJ 08560. Work will be conducted locally through our Stewardship Program and statewide with public and private partners through the FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team. Transportation will be available to access non-local project sites.
- Perform invasive species mapping and control activities on emerging and widespread species that pose severe threats to rare species and their habitats. Control activities will include mechanical removal and frequent application of herbicides (training will be provided).
- Ecological monitoring including assisting with measurements of forest and meadow habitats and rare species monitoring including management and searching activities. 3. Maintain forest and meadow restoration projects.
- Assist with native plant garden and wildflower meadow restoration projects. 5. Perform trail maintenance.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Stewardship Director and Land Steward.
Entrance Requirements (Items 1-4 are preferred, but not required):
- Enrollment in or completion of Bachelor’s degree in ecology, natural resource management or related fields
- Knowledge of invasive species identification and management
- Knowledge of flora and fauna of New Jersey
- Knowledge of GPS/GIS
- Willingness to become a Certified Pesticide Operator under the supervision of the Senior Land Steward and willingness to use herbicides is required.
- Ability to conduct physically strenuous field work in rugged terrain is required.
Agency/Program Description: Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space is a nonprofit land trust that is dedicated to preserving the Valley’s character through open space and farmland preservation, and natural resource protection. Since our inception in 1987, we have partnered with private landowners, government and nonprofit organizations to preserve over 7,500 acres of open space and farmland. We administer the FoHVOS New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team, which is a cooperative effort involving over 200 partner organizations, private landowners, and the general public.
- Salary and Hours: The salary for the internship is $17.00/hour with a 40-hour work week (Monday – Friday). Approximately 7:30AM to 4:00PM.
- Up to two positions will be 10 weeks long (approximately 6/5/23 through 8/11/23 – 400 hours per position).
- Up to three positions will be 26 weeks long (approximately 6/5/23 through 12/1/23 – 1,040 hours per position)
- Housing is not provided. Personal transportation required.
- A commitment is required for the full term of the internship.
To apply, please send the following materials by Friday, March 3, 2023: Applications missing any of these items will not be considered.
- A resume (maximum of two pages)
- A cover letter addressing how your education/experience qualifies you to accomplish the job duties listed above. Please indicate your interest in the 10-week and/or 26-week positions.
- Provide names, e-mails, phone numbers, and mailing addresses of three references to:
Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space
P.O. Box 395
Pennington, New Jersey 08534
The Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com